About Ghana Yam (GYPEA)
The Ghana Yam Producers and Exporters Association was incorporated under the Ghana Company’s Code, 1963 Act 179 on the 2nd of June 1987. The Association’s objectives are to promote the production and exportation of good quality and certified yams from Ghana, and also to assist members to adopt proper methods of presentation of their products to the outside world. The Association also plays an advocacy role in lobbying to influence government policy in the yam industry.
Being the leading source of premium quality yam products with global penetration and contribution to an improved Ghanaian economy and livelihoods.
Is to provide guaranteed markets for yam farmers and enhance the performance of yam exporters.
- To promote the production and exportation of good quality and certified yams from Ghana.
- Assist members to adapt proper methods of presentation of their products to the outside world.
- To play an advocacy role in lobbying to influence government policy in the yam industry.
The Ghana Yam Producers and Exporters Association is currently practising the Group Marketing Concept whereby members export under the banner of the Association with particular emphasis on FOOD SAFETY and TRACEABILITY. Strategically positioned in the middle of the value chain, we control the movement of GLOBALGAP certified yams from the farm gate to foreign markets.
The Preparation of the Product for Export
Selection: - The yams are carefully selected on the basis of
- Uniformity – yams with the same variety and sizes.
- Yam should be firm and free from obvious defects, smooth and straight.
- Yam should be cured 7-8 days at 30˚c (86˚ - 90˚F ) leaving it in an airy and shady place for a week with 90-95% R.H (Relative humidity).
- Yam that is light in weight for their size must be avoided (rot can set inside without it being visible externally).
Terms and Conditions
After firm orders for shipment are received by the Association, a contract is signed with the buyers, stating clearly the terms of payment and incoterms before shipment is made.
The consignment is shipped two weeks after the receipt of Firm Order. The cartons are stacked on pallet and packed on flat racks or refrigerated containers depending on the country of destination.